Sunday, April 6, 2025

April Update

      Hey, everyone!

     A lot is going on at the moment, but I'm still determined to keep writing and sharing with you all. I thought, in lieu of a new story, I'd update you a bit on what's going on writing-wise.

     For the last few weeks, I have been eyeballs-deep into research for the first serialized novelette/novella to be published here! Research on what, you might ask? The Salem witch trials of 1692. Yes, I'm writing a witch story and while there will be a couple fantastical elements in it, it's taking place in one of the darkest chapters (of many) in American history. I've been flipping between researching (with the indispensable The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege by Marilynne K. Roach, among other resources) and brainstorming for how my story will unfold. Most of the latter will occur once I've concluded my research, which shouldn't be too much longer. 

     The thing I've been thinking of the most while dreaming up this story is creating fiction while honoring the past. Like I said, there are a couple fantastical elements (which I won't give away) that are in the story I want to tell. But at the same time, I don't want them to detract from or devalue the very real people, places, and events involved in this period of time. And no matter what narrative arc I've got going on for the central story, I want to make sure I reflect the dread and the horror of this time well. 

     Once I conclude my research, I'll be writing a reflection on this process and what the research has taught me. I can't promise when that'll be published here, but you guys will be able to get that insight on this story soon.

     As mentioned above, this Salem story will be a serialized novelette/novella, meaning it'll be published here chapter by chapter. I'm still debating whether I want to write the whole thing and then upload it bit by bit, or if I want to write it one chapter at a time. If I have a solid enough outline, I could make the latter method work...and honestly, I'm tempted to do it more that way. It might also be more conducive to my very full life at the moment. We'll see!

     I might be able to create a piece of flash or revise another Grim Reaper story to upload this week. I can't make any promises, though - between work (2 jobs) and school, time and energy isn't always there for me. But I will keep writing, I will keep sharing, and I will keep storytelling alive here on Two-tone Tales. That was the promise I made two months ago and I'm not backing down from that promise any time soon!


 ~ Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back! What's Happening?

      Hi, readers! It's been way too long since I last posted here. But I'm back again to tell you that Two-tone Tales is still aliv...