Nocturne in Magic
The rain was torrential when the
magician reached the bus stop that evening. He brushed off his shoulders, casting
glittering drops everywhere, and he looked doubtfully at the shelter above as
the rain hammered down. His leather satchel leaned against him, its secrets
safe and dry.
He was alone for five minutes before another poor soul rushed in. Her
box-dye red hair dripped, her hoodie drenched to the point it looked more black
than gray. She gave an apologetic smile as she sat next to him.
“Awful, isn’t it? Hopefully it doesn’t result in a tornado like last
week.”
The magician frowned. “A tornado?”
“Yeah, one came just north of town…” She took in his shimmering midnight
blue suit. “Are you not from around here?”
“I’m passing through. Or rather, I’m on a tour of sorts.”
“Are you in a band?”
He looked down at his satchel briefly. “I’m a magician, actually.”
“Really?” The woman’s eyes brightened. “You could probably figure out this
trick I learned!”
Before he knew it, she held out a silver dollar in her right hand.
“See this? It’s a fairly big coin. Considering my hands are kind of
small, this would be hard to vanish, right? But I’m going to try anyway.”
She closed her fingers over the coin and turned her fist so the back of
her hand faced up.
“Because it’s magic, it needs one, maybe two, maybe even three taps to
make it vanish,” she said, tapping her closed fist with her left index finger
each time. “Now let’s see if it worked.”
The magician watched as she rubbed her fingers against her palm, opening
them to reveal nothing. He grinned. “That was very well done.”
“You know the secret?”
He nodded at her left hand, where the coin was. “Must have taken you
awhile to perfect.”
“I did mess up a lot in the process,” she replied with a shy laugh. “But
I always wanted to do at least one magic trick…there’s so little magic to be
found in the everyday world.”
“It’s not that common, is it?” He paused, his eyes sympathetic. “Since you
were so kind to demonstrate, allow me to return the favor.”
Reaching into his satchel, he pulled out a thin rod and a lighter. Lighting
the tip, he let her gaze drink in the dancing golden flame.
Then, with a perfectly timed flourish of his hand, the flame vanished
and a red silk rose blossomed in its place.
“How did you do that?” She stared in awe at the rose as he gave
it to her.
“Perhaps you’ll learn it and perform it for me next time. If I ever find
myself passing through again.”
“Well, then,” she said, giving him her coin, “be sure to come back.”
Her perceptive smile and the warmth of her coin in his hand awakened
something unnamable and tender inside him. The chaos of the rain felt miles and
miles away as he smiled back at her.
Author’s
Note
The piece of flash fiction you’ve just read was one I wrote last spring (2024) for a contest requiring stories be 500 words or less and centered around the theme of magic. As is the nature of flash fiction, the story itself can barely be more than a moment, and you really have to think about what’s happening so you don’t exceed the word limit. Storytelling sacrifices are made because of this, yes - but it is a fun exercise in seeing how much you can tell with only so many words!
With the theme being magic, I could have gone in a more fantastical
direction (like I was inclined to). However, the venue holding this contest was based in literary
fiction – as are most contests of this nature – and I knew leaning into the
fantasy genre wouldn’t fit. So I instead opted for another source of magic
that captures my imagination – the sleight of hand of magicians.
Yes, for this story, I had to research a couple magic tricks to
understand how I should write them out. Both the coin and the rose tricks are familiar
sleights of hand you can access online and in magic books. I doubt my writing
of the coin trick makes it sound half as cool as it looks, but I tried as best
as I could!
The idea of two strangers meeting at a bus stop at night was one of the
first elements of this story that came to mind. In writing tons of flash
fiction last spring, I realized this theme – strangers meeting and connecting –
was something I revisited a lot. I’m fascinated by people and I think there’s a
lot of magic in those moments when we feel a pull towards others. In an age
where loneliness and isolation are everywhere, striking a chord with a stranger
seems like a distant yet lovely dream. Admittedly, my own experiences with
loneliness have also drawn me to write stories about characters finding their
way towards friendship, love, kinship, community, comradery – whatever form of connection
it is they need most.
While this story didn’t win the contest it was submitted to, I did end
up digging this out for peer review for one of my graduate classes last fall. Honestly,
I’d been thinking about this story ever since I wrote it, so I was wondering if
others would see anything in it. They sure did and then some. Two out of my
three peer response partners said I’d written a “meet-cute” between the magician
and the woman, and they wanted a whole novel about those characters falling in
love! (A friend read it over and also agreed on the hints of romantic chemistry) I had no idea
that the chemistry between those characters gave off that vibe, but then that’s
the beauty of others reading your writing: they’ll see and interpret things in
a way you couldn’t have while writing it. I’m not a romance writer by any means
(more of a “romance as a subplot” kind of writer), but I do like the idea of
revisiting these two characters and giving them a longer, more in-depth story
someday!
Looking back, I can see why this (and so many other flash fiction
stories I wrote last spring) didn’t succeed. The biggest part of that lies in
the writing itself. Literary fiction requires extra close attention to the
language used and tends to favor extreme realism with a down to earth feel.
None of that is really present here, despite my best efforts. And though I knew
I was never going to be a literary fiction writer, I hoped I had it in me to at
least be flexible in my skills. In the end, this opportunity showed me both
where my natural writing style lay and showed me my limitations at the time.
But that doesn’t mean this wasn’t a success of some kind. Writing this
story made me more aware of the stories I want to tell, the characters I want
to bring to life, and the moods I want to set. True, it features a much more
realistic setting/premise than I’d choose to work with. Yet every time I think
of this story, I recognize some of the essence of the storytelling I want to
share within it. And for all its imperfections, it’s still one of my
favorite stories I’ve written to this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment